[packman] Packman and Contrib cooperation

Marek Stopka (M4r3k) marekstopka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 19:29:00 CET 2008

I discussed this with Andrea Florio a few days before via IRC and I
think it is a good idea, but here is some catches... In Packman we do
not only provide packages with multimedia and software which is not in
openSUSE, but also a newer version of software from regular openSUSE
repositories and it is not possible to provide such a service for us
anymore if we will move our packages to Contrib OBS project. But I
think this could save a lot of CPU time and also a lot of space and we
are running out of disk space sometimes. So then after this move of
packages we could provide also openSUSE Factory build of multimedia
packages and I think, this could make Factory distribution more
attractive for users, because now, we do not provide such a
packages... And it is kind a annoying to have openSUSE without real
multimedia support, at least this is a reason why I do not use Factory
at my desktop.