[packman] [PM] vlc 0.8.6c (openSUSE 10.3/i586)

Lee Matheson lee at matheson.net
Sun Sep 9 12:30:57 CEST 2007

vlc won't start (aborts) With openSUSE-10.3-beta3 on my 32-bit
installation. Further investigation revealed it gives a segmentation
fault if run as user root.

It will start as a regular user, if it is started in a konsole this way:

G_SLICE=always-malloc vlc

My speculation is this might be related to wxwidgets (see this mandriva
bug thread):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/mandriva/+source/vlc/+bug/120278

I posted the results of research into this by Jonathan_R (and a bit of
typing / surfing by myself) here:
http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=38568&view=findpost&p=196525
(post #12 to #19)

and here:
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?s=&showtopic=60015&view=findpost&p=245016

Thank-you for your many efforts in packaging vlc for openSUSE.  vlc
works well on my SUSE-10.0, openSUSE-10.1 and 10.2 PCs.

Lee
aka oldcpu