[packman] Re: Packman security policy questions

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Nov 4 19:42:11 CET 2007

Hi!

Aniruddha <mailing_list at ...> writes:

> > I don't know what world you're living in but we're not paid to do this,
> > we do it during our spare time, and it's a considerable effort and
> > amount of time, health, and commitment going into this from every single
> > member of the team. It's totally unrealistic and just plain impossible
> > for us to provide SLAs, maximum response time guarantees or whatever.
> > Get real.
> >
> > If you want a really secure environment (_if_ you actually need that
> > level of paranoia), then only use the packages that come with the
> > distribution.

I fear that would not increase the security a lot.

> > And as the Subversion team likes to put it: "patches are welcome"
>
> Pascal, in the world I live people don't regards questions as personal
> attacks. Nor do they feel the need to talk in a demeaning manner. How
> tempting it might be I am not going to lower myself to this level of
> discussion.

I only read this list to see mplayer bug-reports and I don't post here often,
but to make one thing very clear:
Pascals answers were very polite and surprisingly patient. Tonis answer was not
that patient, but be assured that on many lists, questions that are as
unanswerable as yours are ignored at best.
Your mail, OTOH, makes it very clear that *you* take things far too personal and
you overreact. I know one or two mailing list operators that would already have
banned you.

To get "on topic" as you ask: Being a programmer, I can assure you, what you ask
for can not be produced: Whoever promises you what you are asking for is simply
lying (or has no clue). If, for example, any OSS project promises you maximum
response time, they are cheating. (And that's not the only impossible point.)

Carl Eugen