[packman] [PM] ardour2 2.0 (openSUSE 10.2/i586)

Terje J. Hanssen nteknikk at monet.no
Sun May 6 20:54:08 CEST 2007

Hello,

I just wonder if this might be a built problem or something known you've
experienced?

Ardour2 won't start after installing it on my older K7 running openSUSE
10.2 i586.
It has 512MB RAM and a working Creative SB0312 Audigy LS sound card (#
0, driver snd-ca0106).
After the YaST>Add program installation, I verified that among other the
following packages are installed

* ardour2-2.0-0.pm.1
* jack-0.103.0-142.pm.1

A launcher for Ardour2 became available on the program menu's
Multimedia>Record
But Ardour2 wouldn't start up (nothing visible happened).

Some more information became available using a Gome terminal as root:

# /usr/bin/ardour2

WARNING: Your system has a limit for maximum amount of locked memory!
This might cause Ardour to run out of memory before your system runs out
of memory. You can view the memory limit with 'ulimit -l', and it is
normally controlled by /etc/security/limits.conf
Ardour/GTK 2.0
   (built using 1762 and GCC version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (SUSE
Linux))
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel
Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
theme_init() called from internal clearlooks engine
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [INFO]: looking for control protocols in
/root/.ardour2/surfaces/:/usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Generic MIDI"
ardour: [INFO]: Control protocol Tranzport not usable
ardour: [INFO]: Control surface protocol discovered: "Mackie"
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support.
/dev/shm/jack-0 already exists, but is not a directory!

cannot create server sockets
cannot create engine
ardour: [ERROR]: Unable to connect to JACK server
ardour: [ERROR]: Could not connect to JACK server as  "ardour"

The following widget was displayet right afterwards (at the end) of this
list:
http://bildr.no/view/62776

Looking into a process list I could neither that JACK (jackd) was
running!!??

Tried the memory command:

# ulimit -l
32

Looked at the content of the referred file
/etc/security/limits.conf

but couldn't find that any lock memory was set (just uncommented lines #)

The IDE DMA settings are

*UltraDMA/44 5T060H6 disk /dev/hda
*UltraDMA/33 DVD Writer 100 CD-ROM /dev/hdc

At last I also tried to install the previous Ardour version
* ardour-0.99.3-0.pm.2

Neither this one would start.

Any ideas?

Rgds,