[packman] Pakanto - a new cross-distribution package description project

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Thu Jun 28 14:03:20 CEST 2007

Hi,

I run a (currently) small project dedicated to improve/write genric
distribution agnostic package descriptions ready for reusage for all Linux
distributions at http://pakanto.org.

Why doing such a project? Often software package descriptions are poor
quality: If you search for functionality ("web browser") and not application
names ("Konqueror") in your package manager of choice it is crucial to have
non-geeky and localised package descriptions (e.g. Germans are searching
for "Textverarbeitung" and not "office" or "word processor") otherwise you
often will find nothing or the wrong packages.

That's what the collaborative Pakanto wiki wants to solve once and for all.
However this is *not* an online knowledge base like Wikipedia but just a
collaborative platform for writing package descriptions that can be embedded
for offline usage in current software packages.

My first goal was providing decent package descriptions for KDE packages until
the first beta release of KDE 4.

Now I can already provide quite some (KDE-) package descriptions in English
and German (see http://pakanto.org/wiki/KDE and
http://pakanto.org/wiki/Category:Packages) and am asking you wether you are
interested using these sample package descriptions for your packages. But
even if this might not be the case at the moment - any constructive critics
and improvements directly in Pakanto are welcome in order to meet your
requirements in the future.

If you're interested in the project you maybe want to have a look at these
pages, too:
http://pakanto.org/wiki/Pakanto:Project_scope
http://pakanto.org/wiki/Pakanto:About
http://pakanto.org/wiki/Pakanto:Licensing_requirements
http://pakanto.org/wiki/Pakanto:TODO_list

The project is work in progress as everything so I'd be really interested
in some feedback about it.

Cheers, Daniel Arnold / Arnomane

P.S.: Please add me in CC as I am not subscribed to the packman list.