[packman] Re: OpenSUSE BuildService?

Quentin Denis quentin.denis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:01:12 CEST 2007

Am Dienstag, 21. August 2007 09:42:37 schrieb Andrés G. Aragoneses [ knocte ]:
> Bernhard Walle escribió:
> > * "Andrés G. Aragoneses [ knocte ]" <knocte at gmail.com> [2007-08-21 08:57]:
> >> Sorry if this has already been asked on the list, but, are there any
> >> plans for Packman to use the OpenSUSE BuildService?
> >
> > Currently, no. We evaluated the OBS, but it would be too much work to
> > adapt it to our needs (upload to the packman server, own web
> > interface).
> >
> > But does it matter for the user?
>
> Yes, if using OBS means:
>
> - More distros targeted although less maintenance.
that's not true! IMHO it is still much easier to build the packages by myself
(locally)  than to wait for the BS.
More distros is not true either! We do provide some Fedora packages and we
could supported more distros but Packman aims to support SUSE and no other
one.

> - More users willing to become contributors/maintainers.
Packman is still a closed community and will probably stay in near future.
Tough contributors and contributions are welcome, and it works rather well so
far.

> For the latter case, I know one case from this bug[1], which ended in
> Dirk having to finish using OpenSuse servers for the mldonkey package.
> He told me he would look on hosting his packages on Packman but the fact
> you were not using OBS didn't help.
Dirk got in touch with us, but he did not want to give up building himself
mldonkey. I proposed him to send me his spec file (contribution).

Regards,
Quentin