[packman] Re: No video in xvid

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Sun May 28 19:43:23 CEST 2006

Quoting Manfred Tremmel <manfred at links2linux.de>:

> Am Samstag, 27. Mai 2006 09:28 schrieb Henrik Ingo:
> > Arghh... Sorry about this. Now it happens without xvid too. Guess I
> > have to get to the bottom of it myself...
>
> Maybe I could help, but I need more information. Two days ago I asked
> for the error message, totem printed out, but there was no reaktion
> from your side.

Sorry about that. Sometimes emails in English get deleted as spam. I'm at fault,
I delete them manually when I use webmail. I should update the bayesian filter
in my brain :-)

I now reinstalled Totem. Hmm... You have a newer version in packam repo which
doesn't say anything, it just shows a black screen like all the others.
However, the version in SUSE 10.1 says:

"Totem could not play 'file:///home/...'.
You do not have a decoder installed to handle this file.
You might need to install the necessary plugins."

Anyway, during the weekend I played back and forth with this. I think I have
figured out how to reproduce the problem: It depends on what file I play first
after booting the computer. If I start with an mpg or wmv file, everything will
work after that. But if the first file I open is divx, the video is black and
all file formats after that are black. The problem goes away if I boot.

Also, if I log out and log in (to KDE) and start with playing a divx file, video
is black after that too. However, logging out and back in does not help to
restore the problem (it seems, tried once) but only a shutdown and boot helps.

I use KDE and primarily kaffeine.

This happens already without xvid, it seems there is a divx decoder in the
w32codec-all?

Since nobody else is complaining about this, could it have something to do with
my graphics adapter? According to Yast it is ATI Radeon 9100 QM (older linuxes
just called it Mach64 with 2mb memory) and running the driver that comes with
the SUSE 10.1 CD's (not ati binary drivers) and with 3D mode on. (Did not try
with 3D off.)

Since I figured out how to work around the problem, the issue is not acute
anymore, but I will help you if you are interested in solving it. Please ask if
you'd like to have me test something.

I read mail daily, so if I don't answer I have again managed to delete it: just
resend it.

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel:   + 358-40-5697354