[packman] packman future

Henne Vogelsang hvogel at hennevogel.de
Thu Jan 9 19:24:47 CET 2003

Hi,

On Thursday, January 09, 2003 at 18:02:00, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Am Don, 2003-01-09 um 16.59 schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
> > On Thursday, January 09, 2003 at 15:17:26, Hendrik Muhs wrote:
> >
> > > 2.  Is the very complicated web-interface really necessary???
> > > 	all the information we have to fill in can be easily extracted from the
> > > 	rpm-Package, why not a automatic script, which runs as cron job every day
> > > 	and/or can be started by the web-interface for urgent fixes
> >
> > I see the webinterface and the database marc manages not only as an
> > "fill in information and forget" tool. I see it also as a kind of
> > quality assurance.
>
> Hmm - I don't.
>
> => To me, its the primary obstacle to contribute rpms and more
> bureaucracy than actually being useful.
>
> > If publishing a package boils down to spit it on a
> > directory somewhere and some automated script does anything else then, it
> > will infect quality.
>
> Bummer - Actually, I don't see any relation of this form to quality.

Ok not from that form but from a more guided way of publishing than just
put the packaghe somewhere.

A fully autmated system that just reads packages and put the information
into a database, like Hendrik suggested, would be a drawback imho.

I think its something in between that will be the best thing.

> What I am actually missing is kind of an "upload-script" that can be
> prepared off-line. Something like an form to be filled out which then
> installs everything into the appropriate location on Marc's server.
>
> [Basic outline: Write an xml-form which shall accompany any rpm, upload
> this form and rpm to Marc's server, and run a script there to interpret
> this form and to install the files into the appropriate
> locations/database etc.]

Sounds like a second specfile :)

Henne

--
Hendrik Vogelsang aka Henne
mailto: hvogel<at>hennevogel.de

Sometimes you do something, and you get screwed.
Sometimes it's the things you don't do,
and you get screwed.

# random sigs made with fortune