[packman] packman future

Manfred Tremmel Manfred.Tremmel at iiv.de
Thu Jan 9 18:51:31 CET 2003

Am Donnerstag, 9. Januar 2003 15:17 schrieb Hendrik Muhs:

> english because CC

Naja, muß ich durch ;-)

> 1. We sholud become more international.
> 	than Karol and some others can contribute.
> 		(http://sourceforge.net/projects/suserpm/)

Lets combine point 1 to 2. I don't think it's usefull, to
internationalize the webinterface and replace it then.

> 2.  Is the very complicated web-interface really necessary???

I don't think it's so complicated, but it makes a lot of work. When ever
a new libxine comes out, I have to add a new package Version and the 12
RPM-Packages, add all the comments and dependences. I also have to
change the dependencies not only from the new packages, also for all
other packages, that needs this package (and once again with the ppc
packages). And you ever will forget something, especial when other
packages from other packagers have dependencies to one or

> 	all the information we have to fill in can be easily extracted from
> the rpm-Package, why not a automatic script, which runs as cron job
> every day and/or can be started by the web-interface for urgent fixes

I think we can do a lot of automaticly, but not all. I think the
program-description itselve should be in the webinterface, you can do a
lot of things, like html-links. Different languages would be no problem
and all would be included in one step.
Problems I see with the dependencies. Most packages are part of the
distro and not part of packman.

> 3.  specfile database
> 	for internal use it would be helpful to have a specfile-database
> somewhere for all our packages, in a private dir on the server or via
> CVS(via the SF-account)

I think first steps should be done first, then we can think about such
things.

--
Machs gut    | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/

Manfred      | http://packman.links2linux.de/