[packman] packman future

Henne Vogelsang hvogel at hennevogel.de
Thu Jan 9 16:59:25 CET 2003

Hi,

On Thursday, January 09, 2003 at 15:17:26, Hendrik Muhs wrote:

> We have talked about it several times (Henne, me and maybe some others).
>
> Now that the hardware problems are solved for some time, I would like to
> restart the discussion about future enhancements for packman.

Good Topic :)

> 1. We sholud become more international.
> 	than Karol and some others can contribute.
> 		(http://sourceforge.net/projects/suserpm/)

Right. Lets define some actions we have to take to make that happen.
Because i think we all agree that this has to be done but untill now no
one took any action (afaik).

Someone has to gather contacts to the other projects and ask if they are
interested.

We have to have a english mailinglist for coordination.

We have to coordinate what, when, how we want to package what and who is
doing it.

Last paragraph is the first hurdle i think.

> 2.  Is the very complicated web-interface really necessary???
> 	all the information we have to fill in can be easily extracted from the
> 	rpm-Package, why not a automatic script, which runs as cron job every day
> 	and/or can be started by the web-interface for urgent fixes

I see the webinterface and the database marc manages not only as an
"fill in information and forget" tool. I see it also as a kind of
quality assurance. If publishing a package boils down to spit it on a
directory somewhere and some automated script does anything else then, it
will infect quality. Also it is nice that i can change e.g. the
information for a package without rebuilding the package itself etc.
etc.

But for sure the webfrontend could use some work to make it easier and a
little bit more automated. I jabbert to marc and he said maybe the
scripts could gather the information from the package as proposal for the
package entry or something like this to make it a bit easier to publish.

> 3.  specfile database
> 	for internal use it would be helpful to have a specfile-database somewhere
> 	for all our packages, in a private dir on the server or via CVS(via the
> 	SF-account)

Sounds usefull. But i vote against CVS. It would be overkill imo.

Henne

--
Hendrik Vogelsang aka Henne
mailto: hvogel<at>hennevogel.de

Your mom and dad will have to call kindly doctor
so-and-so to dig up your dental records, because there
won't be much left of your face.

# random sigs made with fortune